Feb 19, 2014

I just want to say that I did not sign up for this. I’ve been among the Church my entire life, but my biblical knowledge had only been stretched as far as: “Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so…” So when I came to Biola, I had no intention of finding the most controversial topic on campus, grabbing it by the horns and dealing with it head on. The last thing I wanted was to be at a school that has a tendency towards homophobia, to have one of my best friends at Biola identifying as bisexual, and realize that God was calling me to stop hiding behind the scenes and start speaking up for people who have been thrown in a closet and told they can’t come out until they change.

Before I really had a notion of what God was calling me to do, He broke me. I felt like I was going insane. I was crying around three or four times a day, I was constantly pissed at people, and I had no idea what to do about it. After some time I found out there was someone on campus that could be a great help to some of the crazy ideas I had floating around in my head. I had lunch with Atticus, and even though he was still mostly closeted at that time, and I happened to be a naïve, straight, baby Christian, we decided it was time to do something on Biola’s campus.

On that day when Atticus and I decided to start this ministry, we embarked. We began a journey that we only had a vision for; we had no experience or true understanding of what we were attempting to undertake. We were both scared. To begin something so controversial—and for me, having such a young walk with the Lord—I felt like there was no way I could do this. And really, I’m straight. How does this even impact me? So I would try to walk away from it, and through many strange circumstances I was shown that I really had no choice. My brothers and sisters were hurting; I had to be someone who was willing to try, even if I didn’t have all the answers.

As we planned this semester, I am overwhelmed by how God has prepared me to be a leader in this ministry. Sure, He still hasn’t given me all the answers, not even close. I have spent many a night rattling my brain and trying to answer the toughest questions out there. But I find no rest there. I do, however, find rest in a community where we work together to be the body of Christ. But this takes each person resisting the temptation of letting fear grab hold of them, and instead, willing themselves to embark with the rest of us. It takes courage to be a part of and commit to a community of sinners. You have to be humble and be willing to look at your own sin in the face. But you also get the opportunity to find the kind of acceptance we all desire, just for being a human made in God’s image. So I am asking you, whoever you are, to step out in faith and know that we are a community that seeks Truth in love. 

Embark with us.



photo credit: Emily Weisbrot, OhYouDog Photography

{ 12 comments ... read them below or Comment }

  1. Although this blog (and ministry) says it speaks up for "people who have been thrown in a closet and told they can’t come out until they change," this group is admittedly "side b" which means it asks people to change and not express their LGBT desires and identities. That's my biggest concern here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! Side B means that I'm queer as a three dollar bill and proud of it, only I'm celibate and attend a Church that is supportive of traditional definitions of marriage and family. I am totally expressive of my gay identity, and open about my desires. I simply don't engage in the behavior because of my Christian convictions. It's really not as bad a picture as many on the other side of the isle make it out to be. I'm happy that I am being the person who I want to be, who I am, both as a Christian and a gay person.

      Delete
    2. This misses my point. I'm not talking about admitting one is gay. I'm talking about someone who is committed to another person of the same sex. They are asked to change. This ministry doesn't do anything different from that.

      Delete
    3. Based on my experience attending one of Nakid's Gatherings, I would affirm that if someone who is committed to another person of the same sex walked through their doors, they would be welcomed and embraced. Interestingly, the icebreaker for the gathering consisted of a series of questions on the topic of sexuality intended to reveal the diverse of thoughts and opinions of our community which then turned into intelligent and loving conversation. I was impressed at the level of openness and the non-judgmental attitudes of everyone involved as there were many expressions and opinions of sexuality present. As a Biola student with same-sex attractions, it is a breath of fresh air to have a space to ask honest questions and share real experiences in community with one another. It seems that NakID is doing a good job of facilitating a safe space to learn and grow and it would be unfair in my opinion to accuse them of trying to change or force an agenda on anyone.

      Delete
  2. I find this ministry very offensive and damaging for the LGBTQ. Referring to the LGBTQ experience as a "struggle" is not okay, because it is not a struggle. Our struggle is not our identity/desires/actions; our struggle is being faced with people (mostly heterosexual) telling us how our LGBTQ identities are a basis of sin (immoral) . "It takes courage to be a part of and commit to a community of sinners." <--- I cannot even begin to express my concern with this phrasing. There is so much wrong here. Also, what you're doing is pushing BQU (the group that is structured WAY better for the LGBTQ) into the background. I believe this ministry is unhealthy for us. I know you are really trying to show love here, but you're missing the point and it is not being received. I am very concerned about this whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you feel that this ministry is condemning and marginalizing. I hope NakID's message of safety and courage can be communicated clearly to others instead of the interpretation that conveys shame and close-mindedness. I think NakID means to acknowledge the fact that everyone is a sinner from a holistic point of view and not a marginal one. As people, as Christians, we all sin.

      I also don't see NakID as competition for the BQU. NakID doesn't see the BQU that way. Although fundamentally they hold different "sides," NakID actually doesn't care what you believe in. The point of the ministry is to provide a safe place for ANYONE and EVERYONE, regardless of what view you hold, or if you even know what the "sides" are. There are several side A people at our events that seem quite comfortable with where they're at, and I'm so happy we can all just hang out together in a safe, no-judgment environment.

      NakID promotes outward thinking—the only conclusion they stand firm in is that we need to love everyone better, not because of anything they do or believe, but simply because they are human. God loves everyone. There is no "but" to that statement.

      I feel that I am equipped to reply to your comment not just because I support this ministry as a member, but because I understand what its leaders intend it to be; Shea (author of this article and NakID co-president) is my roommate and best friend. I help NakID a lot with their internal and external communications.

      Seriously, thank you for expressing your concerns—I know Shea and all of us at NakID would never want our words to bring hurt or shame to anyone. I'm glad you recognize NakID's efforts; we really are just trying to love people better.

      Delete
    2. Regarding the writers quote: "It takes courage to be a part of and commit to a community of sinners." In the context of the topic of sexuality it would make sense why you would be concerned about this statement and perhaps she could have been more clear about that. However, based on the rest of her message it is clear that she herself is claiming to be PART of the community of sinners she is describing. I think what is healthy is to abandon the us vs. them mentality and be open to learn more of what it means to love and respect others whose opinions differ from ours.

      Delete
  3. I hear the concerns of the others who are commenting. I'd first challenge ya'll, if you can, to attend one of the Gatherings. You'd be welcomed warmly and see that there are many differing views in the room. Those views include Side A people...I also want to add that a label like, "Side A" or "Side B" or anything else, does not ask someone to change. It just describes someone's beliefs. I assure you that this ministry isn't prescribing anyone a certain way of living except that most people who come love Jesus. And if you don't love Jesus that is okay as well...I can see how the word "struggle" might have a negative connotation for some people. Its perfectly okay to voice that it doesn't settle right with you. However, I think you might be missing the point of what Shea is saying. From a Jesus following standpoint, the only things that unites any people is their created humanity in the image of God, their "sin" or how the Fall has messed with our humanity, and the love and life of Jesus. I think Shea is trying to say that as we all embark on loving one another its going to be done imperfectly because we are all sinners- that doesn't mean it was a derogatory comment toward sexual orientation. It means that who ever enters into this conversation and space will not have all the answers because we each have something somewhere (whether hidden or shared) that is bent within us. If you have concerns, that is totally okay. Come join us and maybe everyone can get a better idea of how to love in healthier ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really confident that NakID Ministries will be productive. I know that you said that you strongly dislike the term "love the sinner hate the sin." But let's face it, this group is based off of that concept whether you think it or not, and it only perpetuates the oppression of the queer community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to a meeting and then let that shape your opinion.

      Delete
  5. I hope you can find a place someday where you are loved and accepted for your feelings, Jared, and not told they are wrong to express, but that they are just as beautiful and amazing and godly as anybody else's feelings and desires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because they truly are. <3

    ReplyDelete

- Copyright © Sexual Wholiness - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -